Slimmers Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tired of losing weight with no support.. going it alone or joined a club.. but still lacking that individual help? Why not join fellow dieters and make this the one stop community for people to join and shed pounds We do not just cover the main diets!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
WELCOME to our new look site. Please join us and help us build up this site and make it a site that you want to visit
Latest topics
» Anyone Out There
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeSun 14 Dec 2014, 05:03 by Treats

» Looking forward to getting to know people here...
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeFri 20 Jun 2014, 18:53 by Treats

» Fatladygettingslim
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 04 Apr 2013, 00:00 by susiewoosie

» Hello LYNNB
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeTue 20 Nov 2012, 09:13 by susiewoosie

» Hello Tracy
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Apr 2012, 03:15 by susiewoosie

» Cauliflower egg fried rice
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 08 Mar 2012, 08:44 by Becci

» Chicken Curry
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeMon 05 Mar 2012, 06:55 by Becci

» I AM BACK!!!!
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeTue 28 Feb 2012, 09:05 by susiewoosie

» Hello Bees Knees
Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeFri 17 Feb 2012, 09:44 by Jacqui

Facebook

Now for the Herbs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 03:09

Okay now for the herbs I'm growing. Again all in pots.

I have another one of those big plastic boxes with the lids the 50L ones. In there I'm growing.

Red Sage
Greek Oregano
Golden Thyme
Golden Marjoram
Parsley
Lemon Thyme

In flower buckets I have

A bay tree
Lemon Balm
Garden Mint
Spearmint
Rosemary
Garlic Chives
Chives
Wild Garlic

Hmm I didn't think I had that many. Just think of the recipes that I can try flower
Back to top Go down
mummytobeslim

mummytobeslim

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 04:32

affraid well doen ne you thats fantastic i really need get my act togehter all I have is chives and parsley lol my lemon mint died Embarassed
Back to top Go down
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 04:46

I can send you some mint, spearmint and lemon balm if you want. I can just pick a bit and send in damp paper. It should root okay. Ialso have some basil seeds and corriader seeds if you want I can send you some of them as well
Back to top Go down
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeFri 08 May 2009, 01:00

Back to top Go down
Jacqui

Jacqui

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeFri 08 May 2009, 05:30

I got some mint today.. the english sort... wow.. will plant that tomorrow.. have some different sorts of sage.. basil... ooo got bay as well I think it is..

Having a day in the garden
tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeFri 08 May 2009, 06:13

I have spearmint did you want me to send you a little bit when I send the coffee seeds?
Back to top Go down
Suz65

Suz65

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009, 01:05

I decided this year that I would grow some herbs from seeds, I have planted sage, rosemary, lemon balm, mint, french tarragon, dill, and marjarom, and they have all germinated and I am looking forward to planting them out in the big planters.

I already have and use my oregano and lemon and orange thyme plants. I have had two small bay trees, but have not had much success as the leaves seem to get a disease when I transplant them into the garden.

Any advise with regard to the bay?

Sue
Back to top Go down
Treats
Owner
Treats

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009, 02:15

Mmmm I don't but when Susie pops by she might.....

Sounds like you have lots on with all those herbs.. I have a herb batch and just love it...
Back to top Go down
http://urcards.weblodge.net
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009, 03:16

Suz65 wrote:
I decided this year that I would grow some herbs from seeds, I have planted sage, rosemary, lemon balm, mint, french tarragon, dill, and marjarom, and they have all germinated and I am looking forward to planting them out in the big planters.

I already have and use my oregano and lemon and orange thyme plants. I have had two small bay trees, but have not had much success as the leaves seem to get a disease when I transplant them into the garden.

Any advise with regard to the bay?

Sue

Have you tried putting in a big pot? Also I know bay as a problem with flat scaley insects. I will investigate more tomorrow.

Welcome to the group by the way Very Happy We Sue's are going to take over lol!
Back to top Go down
Suz65

Suz65

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009, 04:26

Thank you, for your advise, I will inform the husband that we need a trip to the Garden Centre to get more pots cheers
Back to top Go down
Jacqui

Jacqui

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009, 04:39

What is this I see about taking over lol
Back to top Go down
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009, 20:17

Growing Your Bay Tree in a Container

If you grow your bay tree in a container you will be able to move it inside during colder months. It will also require less pruning as the container will slow down the spread of roots and stunt the tree’s growth a little. Container-grown trees look fantastic on the patio and make good houseplants. Choose a pot roughly 30cm (12in) in diameter – this will allow the tree to reach a height of no more than 1.5m (5ft). Bay trees enjoy being pot-bound (where the roots appear to have out-grown the pot) so you will not need to re-pot the tree for about 5 years.

Make sure the pot has adequate drainage holes and place old crocks or stones at its base. Part fill it with a good quality soil-based compost and place the tree on top of the soil. Ensure the original soil line on the base of the trunk comes within the pot’s height, and fill with soil, firming gently. Water well and top up with compost if necessary.
You will still need to prune your container bay tree, trimming the leaves into the desired shape. Feed the tree fortnightly in summer months with an organic fertiliser such as seaweed, and replace the top 2cm of compost each spring. Move the tree indoors in cold weather; a cool area with plenty of light is ideal.
Tips for Successful Growing

• If frost affects your tree, don’t panic. The leaves are likely to turn brown and wither. If only some of the leaves are affected, remove them in spring and give the tree a good feed. If all the leaves are affected, cut the tree down to about 15cm (6 inches) above soil level. New shoots will appear from the base in spring.
  • If growing your tree in a container don’t water it too much in winter, let the compost dry out completely before adding more.
Back to top Go down
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009, 20:32

This is the insect

Plants affected

Bay (Laurus nobilis)
Symptoms

Bay tree leaves thicken and curl at the margins and turn yellow. The discoloured areas later dry up and become brown.
Cause

Now for the Herbs Ph_bay_suckerMost of the damage is caused by the nymphal stages of an insect, the bay sucker that sucks sap from the young leaves. The winged adults are greenish brown and about 2mm long, and they overwinter in sheltered places.
In April to May the adult suckers emerge and start to feed, causing the leaf margins to start curling under. In May the females lay eggs under the curling leaf margins. The young nymphs are grey, flattened wingless insects, whose bodies are covered with a white fluffy material. Like the adults, these also suck sap and increase the leaf curling. Two or three overlapping generations occur between May and September.
Control

For light infestations pick off and burn or otherwise dispose of infested leaves. Badly affected shoots can be pruned out in winter. This will encourage new growth in the spring and may remove some overwintering adults.
If an insecticide is necessary and the plant is small enough to be sprayed, it can be treated with the systemic insecticide thiacloprid (Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Ready To Use) when signs of new damage are first seen. If the leaves are being used for culinary purposes, a minimum 14-day interval must be left between spraying and using the leaves.

I would use a mild solution of washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle rather than use insecticide tho
Back to top Go down
Jacqui

Jacqui

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 08:41

I had a massive parsley bush... then my husband pulled it all out thinking it was a weed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can guess... I was not amused at all!!
Back to top Go down
susiewoosie

susiewoosie

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 03:30

Buying some new herbs as mine didn't like being transplanted and the froze with the crappy weather.

These are the herbs.

Basil, Green Sage, Dill, Mint, Organum Vulgare and Thymus Compact.

Chives, Lemon, Thyme, Origanum Gold Marjoram, Purple Salvia, Fennel and Helichysum.

Chervil, Coriander, Apple Mint, Parsley, Rosemary Officinalis and French Tarragon.

My mint has survived so the apple mint will be put in there. I need to get another planter for the annual herbs.

I've also got thai basil, lime basil, lemon basil and another one that I've forgotten. These are all seeds. I will grow these in pots in the greenhouse next to the tomatoes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Now for the Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now for the Herbs   Now for the Herbs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Now for the Herbs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Slimmers Support :: Feel Better Inside and Out :: Grow Your Own Herbs-
Jump to: